Friday, August 06, 2021

Olympic Delinquency

I think that it was back at the 2008 Olympics in Beijing that the UK first started doing really well at the cycling events, dominating the medals.  As a result of that, the roads here were suddenly full of lycra-clad idiots on their push bikes seemingly thinking that they were Sir Chris Hoy.  Every time the bastards cut you up when you were driving, trying to pull away from lights faster than you, or nearly ran you down when, as a pedestrian, you were trying to use a pedestrian crossing, their excuse would be that they were practicing for the next Olympics.  It was like a plague upon the roads as their arrogance reached stratospheric levels because of their imagined future status as national sporting heroes and Gold Medalists.  I'm hoping that, with the more modest achievements of the British cycling team at the current Olympics, we might see a reduction in this cycling mania on our roads.  That said, I fear that some of the new events at Tokyo might inspire other forms of madness as every idiot in creation tries to emulate the British successes in some of them.

I've no doubt that the UK's estates are about to see even more kids on BMX bikes attempting to jump over things, dangerously obstruct cars as they try to maneuver in and out of parking spaces and generally knock people off of their feet, (I speak from personal experience here), all in the name of trying to qualify for Paris 2024.  Worse still, I fear that Bronze medal in the women's skateboarding is just going to encourage yet more kids to fly around my local shopping mall, weaving their way in and out of shoppers, on their bloody skateboards - particularly as it was won by a thirteen year old.  You know, if I get my ankles broken in a collision with one of these little bastards, I'm going to write to that kid's father and tell him that I hold him personally responsible for allowing his daughter to compete in the Olympics in the first place.  (Actually, I wouldn't want to denigrate young Sky Brown's performance in Tokyo, as it represented a huge achievement).  That said, a lot of the skate boarding idiots I tangle with already most certainly aren't kids - they are grown adults and should know better.  Mind you, some of the contestant's in the men's skate boarding were in their thirties and forties, which, sadly, will probably encourage these idiots even more.  (Unfortunately, the approach to my local shopping centre features a lengthy downward sloping section of pedestrianised street, which the bastards come flying down at speed).  I just thank God that we didn't win any medals in that climbing event, or we'd have even more pillocks scaling the local multi-storey car park.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home