Thursday, June 17, 2021

Recycling the News Cycle

Well, I'm waiting to be offered the Spurs head coach job - they've apparently approached everyone else.  I thought I was in luck earlier, when I came home to see that I had a message on my answerphone - I thought that it just had to be Daniel Levy.  But no, it was just someone trying to sell me something.  This business has finally turned into the farce that the media wanted it to be - we've gone from considering the likes of Erik Ten Hag and Graham Potter, through talking to Pochettino about a return, almost getting Antonio Conte before, it seemed, having settled on Paulo Fonseco.  But now, despite seeming a done deal, even that has fallen through and we're instead apparently offering the job to - judging by his own words - racist, sexist, homophobic nutter Gennaro Gattuso, the man who has just walked out on his last club after less than a month in charge.  I well remember him, as a player, trying to throttle Spurs assistant coach Joe Jordan during a Champions League match, a pretty stupid thing to do as, even at sixty, Jordan was well hard).  Sure, I know that Fonseca was hardly the most exciting choice of coach, but he at least seemed a decent sort of guy, advocates attacking football and has an OK managerial record - much better than the car crash that is Gattuso's managerial CV.  Along with the rest of Spurs' fandom, I'm left bewildered as to what the fuck is going on.

Hell, I've got to stop following those football news aggregators, where all this has played out.  They get your hopes up one minute, then dash them the next as a new cycle of reporting starts, telling us the opposite of what had been said before.  Because that's how these thing s work - all it takes is one story, usually reporting what is, at best, a rumour, then every other 'source' jumps on it and starts spinning it, until starts being reported as 'fact'.  Then somebody posts something else, another vaguely credible sounding rumour, and the cycle starts all over again.  All of which is a microcosm of how the wider news cycle works in this age of twenty four hour rolling news channels and online reporting.  Because these things create a demand for 'news' which simply can't be met by actual events in the real world: most of the time, thankfully, events move at a relatively sedate pace, with stories unfolding slowly.  But our 'always on, always now' contemporary news culture demands that something should be happening all the time - right now, in fact.  So we get this endless recycling of a few 'stories' to give the impression that stuff is happening.  Which is the reason why - despite, ironically, still fixating on Spurs news aggregators online - I tend to avoid twenty four hour news channels these days.  They are just too repetitive, all too often trying to drive news stories which ultimately come to nothing for the sake of filling air time.  I haven't even bothered retuning my Freeview TV to get GBNews as I just don't need any more 'news' being vomited out over my TV set,(although its ridiculous right-wing anti-'woke' agenda and the presence of Andrew Neil would be big turn offs for me regardless).  Oh yeah, and fuck Gattuso.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home