Monday, March 22, 2021

Disposing of the Evidence

I frequently wish that I could remember more of my dreams.  Even when I do recall them, usually when I've been awoken in the middle of them, the memory quickly fades, leaving me with only a vague impression of what it was about, rather than any details, which I always find frustrating.  Sometimes, I'm left with enough details to tantalise me for the rest of the day as to what the whole thing had been about.  Such was the case today, when I was abruptly woken from a dream by the sound of my phone receiving a text message - at 7:15 in the morning.  (I have a friend who habitually texts me before nine o'clock - the earliest hour at which I can usually begin to comprehend such things - I should be thankful that this time it wasn't a Saturday).  Anyway, I was left with enough details of the dream that I had been wrenched from to intrigue me all day: it seems that I was busy disposing of the evidence.  Evidence of what, I don't remember, but I did seem to be disposing of large numbers of paper files and documents.  By burning them in my garden incinerator, I think.  Oh, I had help - my cat.  Obviously, I don't have a cat in my waking life, but in this dream I apparently did and he was clearly a very talented and helpful feline.  Quite unlike a real cat.  

I just wish I could remember what all that stuff I was disposing of actually was.  Was it incriminating financial records?  Incriminating of who?  Me?  The cat?  I suspect that the dream might have had something to do with having watched Line of Duty on Sunday evening, the sort of programme that always makes one paranoid.  Of course, it could also have been inspired by the memory of my having actually burned a lot of old paperwork and documents that were cluttering up my house a couple of years ago.  A process during which I narrowly avoided setting myself and the house on fire when the wind changed and a strong gust blew a sheet of flame toward me from the open top of the incinerator.  I've been pondering incinerating some more old papers of late, which might well have stirred those memories and triggered the dream.  Although the co-operative cat remains a mystery.  As for the text message that disturbed the dream, despite the early hour it was nothing urgent.  Just the usual back-and-forth that amuses myself and my early-rising friend.  Anyway, at some point I really have to get back to writing about some of the pop culture stuff I've been consuming recently - I just haven't felt the motivation to write it up of late.  But before I can get back to it, there are a few real-life things I have to follow up, including a possible opportunity for some paid work.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home