Friday, September 25, 2020

Miracle Cure!

Vitamin D is the new miracle cure!  At least, that's what the media are now trumpeting - that vitamin D can reduce the infection and impact of Covid-19.  Which means, of course, that we'll see panic bulk buying of vitamin D.  The shelves of pharmacies and supermarkets will be stripped of their supplies.  If people can't get vitamin D, then they'll probably start hoarding vitamin C or vitamin E, as they are only one letter out and therefore must be similar.   The reality, though, is that what is actually being said by some medical authorities is that normal levels of vitamin D will help the body fight Covid-19, so unless you have a deficiency, then popping vitamin pills won't do you any good.  It isn't a miracle 'cure'.  Despite what various charlatans and self-appointed on line Covid 'experts' will try and tell you.  Already these jokers are out there on social media saying 'I told you so - we didn't need a lockdown when all the government had to do was advocate taking vitamin D'.  Bullshit.  Utter bullshit.  But then, they are bullshitters.  The sort of 'experts' who sit in pubs ruining your evening by spouting absolute bollocks about any and every subject under the sun.  It's amazing how much they know - more, apparently, than those who actually are experts on the subject.  I know - I've lost count of the number of times pub bores have told me that I'm 'wrong' about a subject I'm qualified in.

They'll even try to argue with you over established facts.  I once had a bizarre exchange with someone over the release date of a film, which I knew was 1967, but they insisted was 1971.  They got quite heated about it.  'You might be an expert on these sorts of films, but this time you are wrong', I was told.  I pointed out that the release date was a matter of public record - a quick check on the IMDB using their phone would verify it.  Which, of course, it did.  Not that I've had to put up with any of that since the beginning of lockdown, as I haven't been in a pub since then.  I'm afraid that with my underlying health conditions, (diabetes, high blood pressure), I still don't feel confident about going back into one.  Besides, as I've noted elsewhere, I've found that I really don't miss it at all.  That's the thing about the lockdown: it validated my existence as a hermit/recluse.  I was no longer 'weird' because I like to avoid people.  That said, of late, I've been taking things to extremes - with my break from work enabling me to do bugger all much of the time.  I really do need to find a new sense of direction.  Not that I'm not enjoying  doing bugger all - it is very relaxing and stress free - but it is all a bit aimless.  I need to start making some decisions on what I'm doing and where I'm going.  Perhaps I should just take some vitamin D to immunise me from Covid-19 and go down the pub to be bored and patronised by the know alls...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home