Friday, March 18, 2016

Frustrated

I had great plans for this evening.  Amongst other things, I had this interesting post planned.  However, I've ended up wasting the evening attempting to get rid of a particularly nasty piece of malware.  It keeps inserting ads and pop-ups (which, if clicked on, will undoubtedly download yet more malware) into certain websites I visit - but only when I use a particular browser.  According to both my anti-virus software and my anti-malware package, its components have all been removed from this laptop.  Yet whenever I use that particular browser and visit those sites, it starts with the ads and pop-ups.  I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the browser, to no avail,  Uninstalling it permanently seems to be the only solution. Which is a pity, as I liked the browser.  Now I'm back using the abominable Edge browser.

I wouldn't mind, but this stuff supposedly only infects your laptop when you inadvertently download it - I haven't downloaded anything onto this machine in weeks.  But wait - I seem to have found a solution.  By deleting my user profile for the browser in question - which had had been retained during the multiple uninstalls - then reinstalling the browser, I seem to have removed the problem.  It could well have been some temporary files, or cookies, or something which, for some reason, had been left untouched by the various anti-virus and anti-malware sweeps.  Jesus!  An entire evening wasted and that was all I had to do?  Why did none of the so-called 'experts' on the anti-virus forums I visited tell me to do this?  Well, it looks like if I'm to salvage something from this evening, I'm going to have to have a late night beer and schlock movie session - just as well it's Friday so I don't have to worry about getting up for work tomorrow.  Maybe I'll come back to that post I was planning for this evening tomorrow...  

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home