Thursday, July 31, 2014

From Sea to Golden Sea



Our monthly movie for July.  A montage of Summery scenes: cornfields, hay bales, duck ponds, the sun shining through leafy trees.  OK, there's no actual sea, but, for me, if there is one thing which epitomises Summer it is the sight of fields full of a golden sea of cereal crops. Watching that golden ocean move in the wind is one of my favourite seasonal sights.  Indeed, everything about these crops fascinate me - you can measure the progress of the Summer (or, indeed, how good or bad a season it has been) by their development and eventual harvest.  Of course, back in the day, it used to climax with the stubble being burned off - a sight I loved.  Sadly, nowadays this is a very rare occurrence with other, safer, methods for getting rid of the stubble preferred. 

The music, as on quite a few of my recent films, is by Kevin MacLeod.  There are several reasons for this: not only does he compose great music and allow it to be used freely by the likes of me, but he's also fought off the various 'digital rights management' parasites I've written about before, who waste everyone's times by trying to claim copyright on the music every time you upload a video to YouTube.  Consequently, by using his music, the chances of having another run-in with these vultures is significantly reduced.  The actual track used - 'Smoking Guns' - gives the film the vaguely 'western' feel I was looking for - that's the other image those cornfields evoke in me: the old west.

Finally, what's the significance of the blurred figure slowly walking toward the camera? No idea, but I'd recently re-watched Once Upon a Time in the West, where there's a flashback featuring Henry Fonda in a similar sequence.  I suppose it could represent the inevitable end of Summer drawing closer.  But who knows?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home