Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Santa Claus Conquers The Martians



Like I was saying yesterday, tradition is going by the wayside this Christmas.  In past years, I've offered a round up of Sleaze-related seasonal activities on Christmas Eve.  But this year I'm feeling at all Christmassy and I have no plans to do anything this evening other than stay at home.  Even if had planned anything, I doubt I would have been able to go through with it as I'm exhausted as a result of a lack of sleep.  Late yesterday night my roof was damaged by the gales, resulting in me standing outside the rear of my property in the early hours of the morning, with the wind whipping around and rain bucketing down, trying to assess the damage.  Whilst, at present, the damage seems confined to one area over the bathroom and no water seems to be seeping in, I still barely slept last night.  I then spent a large part of today trying, and failing, it is Christmas Eve, after all, to get anyone to come and properly assess the damage for my insurers. Whilst I'm sure the roof will be OK for the next few days, I'm worried that, with further high winds forecast for later in the week, it will sustain further damage if I can't get someone out to effect even a temporary repair.  I really don't want to spend another night of worry like last night again in a hurry.

But enough of my woes.  I thought I'd ignore tradition and present for you today another seasonal random movie trailer, for the marvellously titled Santa Claus Conquers The Martians.  Whilst it is fashionable to sneer at this 1964 low-budget holiday cash in as one of the 'worst movies ever made' and for supposed sophisticates to claim they only watch it ironically, in truth it is a pretty entertaining piece of fluff if you are in the right mood.  Sure, it's made on a shoestring budget, (just check out the cardboard box robot early in the trailer), but that's part of the charm.  It's aimed at kids, for God's sake, and as such is perfectly adequate.  It also features an early occurrence of product placement - according to the titles the 'special toys' were provided by the Louis Marx corporation.  I well remember the days when virtually every toy you had as a child was manufactured by Louis Marx.  But if a story about Santa bringing Christmas to the Martians wasn't enough, it also has a tremendously catchy theme song: 'Hooray For Santa Claus'.  I defy you not to sing along with it.  So, this Christmas, give in to your inner child and watch Santa Claus Conquers The Martians - there are several versions on YouTube, none running over eighty minutes, so it won't take up too much of your time.     

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home