Friday, January 11, 2013

Driven to Distraction

After years of decrying the sort of people who drive BMWs, I found myself driving one for much of this week.  To cut a long story short, it was a courtesy car provided by the garage after they'd cocked up the MoT on my car.  The whole dispiriting experience of using this vehicle has left me even more convinced that the only reason anybody drives a BMW is because of the perceived status which derives from it.  Quite how anyone could believe that the combination of poor gear shifts, heavy steering, over-sensitive clutch, uncomfortable seats and stiff suspension represents any kind of superior automotive experience is beyond me.  Driving the bloody thing was an ordeal I have no wish to repeat in a hurry.  Indeed, despite the outrageous garage bill I ended up having to pay, it was a relief to get my faithful 2002 Ford Mondeo back.  Not only is it a far pleasanter drive but, to be frank, the standard of the interior trim isn't significantly inferior to that on the 2006 BMW. 

Perhaps I'm being unfair, judging the entire output of BMW on the basis of a few days driving a single representative of the marque.  But I don't think that I am.  It just confirms to me that the actual product BMW are selling is less important than the image - an image BMW owners obviously believe is positive and enhances their own image.  Which is my biggest problem with BMWs (and Audis, Mercedes and some VWs) - the kind of owners and drivers they attract.  Again, I know that it is grossly unfair, but as soon as I see someone driving a BMW, I think 'knob head'.  But they do themselves no favours with their aggressive and arrogant driving, clearly trying to translate their perceived superiority into some kind of 'dominance' over drivers of 'inferior' vehicles.  I made it my mission during my brief time as a BMW driver to try and undermine this image by showing consideration for other road users, not speeding and using my indicators.  Oh yes, BMW drivers, that's one positive I've taken from this experience - I now have proof that BMWs are equipped with indicators, clearly you are too stupid, arrogant or just plain lazy to use them...  

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home