Monday, August 13, 2012

Games Over

Well, I did it. I promised that for the duration of the London 2012 Olympics I wouldn't mention them here and, for once, I kept my word - Sleaze Diary remained an Olympics-free zone. It wasn't easy, I can tell you - there was so much going on around the Olympics that I was sorely tempted to mention it. But no, even if it meant posting about Terry and June repeats, because there was nothing non-Olympics related in the news to comment on, I stuck to my guns! But now it's all over, I feel free to make some comments on the whole event. From a purely personal, not to mention entirely selfish, point of view, at points during the last fortnight the Olympics, as I predicted, all but destroyed my web traffic. Visitors from the UK all but vanished. I thought that there was a bit of an upturn today, but as my main stats service stopped working (again) over an hour ago) it's difficult to tell. I know from the server logs that I'm getting visitors, but getting any details is next to impossible. I really don't know why I put up with this constant shit from this particular 'service'.

Anyway, getting back to the Olympics, it must have been hard for Daily Mail readers, seeing all those black men with Muslim names and mixed-race offspring of single mothers, who went to state schools that don't promote competitive sports, winning medals for Britain. Which, in itself, made the whole exercise worthwhile. That said, I felt there were some glaring omissions from the sports represented at the Games. There was far too much emphasis on the kind of physical prowess that few of us can ever really achieve, let alone aspire to. It needed more accessible sports, like darts, for instance. The beauty of darts is that just about anybody can play it. It doesn't require expensive training facilities (you can practice in your own home) and, best of all, professional darts players make me look physically fit. Personally, I would have loved to see the likes of the late Jocky Wilson standing on the Olympic podium, fag in one hand, pint in the other, receiving a gold medal, whilst, all the while, the likes of David Cameron banged on about the Olympic legacy of encouraging physical fitness...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home