Monday, August 29, 2011

August Bank Holiday

Look, I'm as much in favour of the disabled competing equally at sports as the next man, but we all know where allowing that Oscar Pistorius - the fellow with the blades instead of feet - to compete alongside able-bodied athletes will end, don't we? If he starts winning medals , then every two-legged athlete out there will start having their own legs amputated and replaced with blades in order to keep up. Next thing you know, high jumpers will be cutting off their feet and replacing them with springs and shot putters will be having one arm replaced with a slingshot. Trust me, this isn't a path we want to go down - it will make a mockery of the sport if we start allowing athletes to use prosthetics. You might as well legalise the use of performance enhancing drugs. But enough of my thoughts on the current state of athletics, did you enjoy your Bank Holiday?

As my regular reader(s) know, I'm much enamoured of Bank Holidays, particularly the August Bank Holiday. Not that I ever do much on them. I just like the concept of everyone having the same day off as a communal experience. Except that these days, not everyone does have the day off - all the shops seem to be open as usual. Anyway, as ever, I spurned the opportunity to go to the Notting Hill Carnival, (every year I succeed in forgetting that it is on over the Bank Holiday weekend), or the Reading/Leeds Festivals, (although I could have watched most of them on BBC3, but couldn't be bothered), or attending a 'beer festival' at my local pub, (I find real ale enthusiasts tedious when they are sober, let alone when they're drunk). Unfortunately, with the weather looking more like late Autumn than late Summer, going anywhere didn't seem very appealing. However, faced with the prospect of another repeat of Diamonds Are Forever on TV, I forced myself to go out for a walk. I can't deny that I felt better for it. That said, I can only hope that you had a more exciting Bank Holiday than me. Still, it's back to business as usual tomorrow, with another trip to the coast planned. Although that could easily go awry...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home