Friday, February 04, 2011

Dream Car?

I had a dream last night that, unusually, I vaguely remembered. I say vaguely, but I actually recall parts of it in some detail. The overall 'plot' is the vaguest part. Basically, I seemed to be driving through my old home town in an American car, (at least, it was left hand drive). At one point, I turned into the road where the infant and junior schools I attended were situated, but their entrance was coned off. Instead, I turned around and drove down the road where my late Grandmother once lived. However, when I drew up in front of her house, instead of my grandmother standing at the gate, it was the former landlady of my local pub, (actually, she still works behind the bar there some nights). From our conversation, it seemed that I was driving some kind of getaway vehicle, and I was there to swap cars, (which is odd, as there was no garage at my Grandmother's old house in which to hide a vehicle). Anyway, when I got out of the car, I was able to see that not only was it an American car, but that it was a magnificent silver 1979 Pontiac Firebird, (quite why I didn't know this from the interior - I'm quite familiar with the interiors of second generation GM F-bodies - I don't know), which I spent some time admiring. After that, the details of the dream fade, and I can't remember any further details.

So, what am I to make of this dream? Why a 1979 Firebird? Was the fact that it was silver significant? (Actually, this isn't the first time a Firebird has featured prominently in one of my dreams - many years ago, whilst snoozing on a freezing cold train, I dreamt that I was driving a 1984 Trans Am down a long dusty road desert road. Sadly, just as I was really putting my foot down, I was woken up by someone sitting down in the seat next to me). I've never owned a Firebird, although I did once have a 1978 Chevrolet Camaro, which is a very similar car, (it shares a body shell and much of its running gear with the Firebird). That said, I've always wanted to own a Firebird. Interestingly, whilst the Camaro was red, my current car (a Mondeo) is silver. Perhaps it all has to do with the ongoing problems I'm experiencing with my car - the Firebird in the dream represents my idealised perfect car, which will never let me down, (in truth, the Camaro that I did own suffered all manner of problems). But what was I 'getting away' from? Had I robbed a bank? Is my subconscious trying to tell me that I should change career and become an armed robber? Certainly, I could do with a career change, that's for sure. Some aspects of the dream remain unfathomable - why did I try to drive into my old school, and why was it coned off? And why was the former landlady of my local pub living in my Grandmother's old house? Proof positive, surely, that dreams just don't make sense and have no particular meaning.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home