Saturday, November 29, 2008

Goodbye to the World of Pub? (Part Two)

Well, for anybody worried that my previous crie de couer over my disenchantment with pub life was the precursor to a slide into depression and despair can rest assured, it's just some aspects of my social activities I'm tired of, not life itself. Indeed, having made that post, somewhat ironically, I went to the pub. It wasn't terribly entertaining - the place was full of drunken Portsmouth fans 'celebrating' their draw with AC Milan. Consequently, there was little chance of intelligent conversation. I really miss the days when I could go down the pub and discuss anything from the philosophy of knowledge to the state of Tottenham Hotspur over a pint or two. People keep on bemoaning the decline of Britain's public houses, citing rising prices and the like, but the truth it is because you simply can't just go for a quiet drink nowadays. It's actually impossible as most pubs insist on drowning out all coherent thought, let alone conversation, with loud music.

It has been claimed that the cheap alcohol available in supermarkets is encouraging people to drink at home rather than going to the pub. I'd say it was actually the other way around - cheap supermarket beer enables people to drink at home in relative peace, without the threat of being assailed by deafening 'music' and drunken louts. Indeed, private drinking parties at home are fast becoming the only way to have a civilised night 'out' involving coherent conversations between rational individuals. I'm back to that pub in my front room I keep talking about creating, aren't I? Either that, or the online Worldwide Pub. You know, I'd never thought I'd find the concept of private members drinking clubs attractive. Perhaps that's the answer. Mind you, with none that I know of in my area, I might just have to start my own. Anyway, I've lamented the passing of the traditional British boozer enough - no more posts on the subject (for now), I promise.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home