Thursday, May 25, 2023

Restoring the Freight

Another model railway interlude.  Mainly because I foolishly spent the day trying to get my jungle of a garden under control and consequently I'm too knackered to come up with anything else.  So, I thought that I'd go back to those Cemflo cement wagons I was trying to restore.  Both came to me very poorly repainted and 'weathered'.  This is how they looked after the paint stripper:


Interestingly, they both turned out to have originally been of the grey variety produced by Triang Hornby rather than the commoner yellow type, (the yellow on the right hand one is the remnant of my earlier attempt at repainting it by hand).  Having decals for the yellow type, plus a tin of Wilko's gloss yellow enamel spray, I tried respraying them yellow.  The results were mixed - the left one came out pretty well, but the right one was resistant to being repainted.  Having eventually got them both into a condition I could live with, decals were applied.  As can be seen, when on the track and at a normal viewing distance, they look OK, (they are the second and third, from the right, behind a genuine yellow cement wagon, forming part of a train of recently acquired cheap toy fair stock and some recently repainted and repaired wagons):


Finally, a short video of the whole train, with the cement wagons up front, being hauled by the unlikely motive power of my recently acquired Lord Nelson class, 'Lord Anson', (even toward the end of their working lives, I doubt that you'd have seen a Lord Nelson on a mixed goods train, but I just wanted  another excuse to run my new loco):

Well, that's all for now.  It's back to the garden tomorrow - to the untrained eye, it still looks a mess, but to the expert, it is quite clearly a work in progress...

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home