Friday, August 19, 2022

The Brown Flag

So, yesterday I started out trying to write something that wasn't pop culture related, (just for a change as, after all, this isn't strictly a pop culture blog),  but ended up going on about David Hasselhoff as Nick Fury, (mainly because it was on TV at the time).  I'll try and correct that error today by prattling on a bit about my adventures on the beach and in the forest yesterday.  Actually, to be fair, I didn't do much except walk around a bit and enjoy the view.  But I have been asked whether I managed to avoid the sewage on the beach, bearing in mind that, over the past few days, there have been warnings put out about the water companies had been discharging raw sewage near many beaches on the south coast.  Luckily, the beach I visited, Lepe, wasn't one of those affected.  Although I still didn't venture into the sea - I mean, that stuff drifts.  Of course, if we had a proper warning system in this country, then, in addition to the red flag beaches fly when water conditions are dangerous, they should have a brown flag to warn of the danger of being chased up the beach by a brown trout as the tide comes in.  Anyway, I ended up spending only an hour at Lepe, not because of the threat of tidal effluent, but because their parking charges are the most extortionate on that stretch of the coast.

Moving inland, I found myself surprised by just how quiet and tranquil Pig Bush was, bearing in mind that the main Waterloo to Bournemoth railway lines runs through the middle of the area, (Beaulieu Road station is nearby).  It was only today that it occurred to me that there had been a national rail strike on yesterday, which explained why I hadn't heard any trains coming.  Which all goes to show that I should probably pay more attention to the news.  The thing is that, these days, I never have cause to travel by train, (ironic for someone who has a model railway, I suppose), so I equally have no reason to check when rail strikes are on.  I mean, time was that I had to commute to work by train, so I was keenly aware of industrial action threats and pay disputes.  Those were the times when one's resolve as a fellow trade unionist were tested - while, in principle, I support every workers right to withdraw their labour in pursuit of fair pay and working conditions, in practice, it is bloody annoying when it makes your journey to work even more Hellish than usual.  Mind you, in these days of remote working, I suppose that it might not be such a problem.  Either way, I'm glad that it isn't my problem these days.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home