Thursday, September 23, 2021

More Milk Deliveries


I haven't posted anything model railway related of late.  Which is largely because little is happening on this front.  Things are stalled while I try and clear more space and rearrange the spare room so as to acquire more space for a proposed extension of the layout.  The lack of activity hasn't stopped me from continuing to build up my rolling stock whenever I can find second hand bargains, (something that's getting rarer and rarer).  These are the latest arrivals: a pair of Lima 'St Ivel' milk tankers to add to my growing milk tanker train.  The livery, I believe, is authentic, although apparently short-lived.  Whether tankers in this livery would have seen service behind a steam loco I'm not sure, but I like the livery and, most importantly, they came as a cheap job lot.

They join a couple of other six-wheeled milk tankers I managed to buy cheaply over the Summer:


These were bought separately.  The blue 'Milk Marketing Board' tanker is a Wrenn item from the seventies, manufactured from the old Hornby Dublo moulds, (a version is currently made by Dapol).  Again, I'm not entirely sure of the authenticity of the livery - Wrenn were notorious for their entirely fictitious colour schemes, not just on wagons, but locomotives also - but it is a nice looking wagon with a satisfyingly heavy cast metal chassis, which ensures that it stays on the track.  The other tanker is a Lima 'United Dairies' six wheeler in (almost) correct post-war livery.  The tank itself should really be silver, although in practice these faded to almost-white in use.  (Later, some were painted blue, with a black strap-line carrying the dairy name in white).

These four join the three Hornby (ex-Lima) 'CWS' tankers I managed to get in a job lot earlier this year.  I reckon that another one or two wagons should be sufficient to create a milk train of reasonable length, (taking into account the size of the layout and the fact that the train would include a bogie passenger brake at one end, a utility van at the other, with, possibly another CCT-type van in the middle).  So, I'm on the lookout for at least one more cheap six wheeled milk tanker.  I'd quite like to get one of the blue 'Express Dairies' types that Lima, then Hornby, produced.  But ultimately it depends on what turns u at a reasonable price.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home