Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Nothing Happening Here...

The recent run of film-related posts here are witness to the fact that absolutely nothing of note is going on in my life.  After all, when the most exciting thing I did last weekend was buy a new kettle, then it is obvious that my life has become somewhat uneventful.  Maybe its the time of year, when we seem to be caught between two seasons with the weather oscillating between sunshine and freezing cold wind and rain, or maybe it is because I have so many other things on my mind, or simply because work has got me so stressed out, but my life seems to have become mired in the mundane.  I just can't seem to motivate myself to do anything outside of the routine.   Hopefully, things might be improving: various health worries which have been plaguing me have receded and a court case that I'd been reluctantly been drawn into has been settled out of court, which has removed a great weight from shoulders.  Best of all, I've managed to get some time off of work over Easter, meaning that I might be able to get some of my many stalled projects moving again.

Of course, I should be getting excited over the forthcoming general election.   However, so far I've found the whole business deeply uninteresting.  It doesn't help that, thanks to the Tory bastards attempts to rig the constitution to their electoral benefit, we've known the date of the election for five years.  The great thing about traditional non-fixed term parliaments is the that degree of uncertainty over the general election date - it keeps everyone on their toes once a parliament reaches its third or fourth year and the government could call an election at any time.  Damn it, back in the good old days, when a government could ask the Queen to dissolve parliament at any time, you could have multiple elections in a single year!  Some of us look back fondly on 1974, the year when we had two general elections.  In the February '74 election, sitting PM Ted Heath made the mistake of asking the country the question of who really ran Britain, him or the unions.  He didn't get the answer he wanted, but Wilson still couldn't get a clear majority, so he, as leader of the resulting minority government, went back to the polls in October and just about gained a working majority.  Those were the days!  But, as I've said, Cameron's fixed-term parliament has taken the uncertainty, and subsequently the heat and excitement, out of it all now.  Further dampening my enthusiasm for the election is the very real prospect that, whoever wins (or is able to form some kind of government), we won't see any real changes.  Labour is failing to present any coherent alternative vision to the Tories, instead just saying that they'll still make cuts, but will be 'nicer' about it than the coalition.  The Lib Dems are effectively a busted flush after their disastrous coalition with the Tories and the other options all look equally unappealing, from the dangerous idiocies of UKIP to the stumbling amateurism of the greens.  It's all rather depressing really...

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home